Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) & Artificial Insemination at Chicago IVF
Intrauterine insemination (IUI), also known as artificial insemination, is often the first option patients explore when seeking fertility treatment. Chicago IVF’s renowned team of doctors and fertility specialists are dedicated not just to optimal success rates, but also to your comfort, safety, and informed peace of mind. Patient education is always a high priority at Chicago IVF, so if you’re considering intrauterine insemination, we’ll help you understand the options available, what IUI is, how it works, and what your personalized treatment plan might look like.
What is intrauterine insemination (IUI)?
Intrauterine insemination is a procedure commonly recommended to couples experiencing fertility issues, or when a sperm donor is being used. In order for fertilization to occur, sperm must meet the female's egg by traveling through the cervix, into the uterus, and to the fallopian tubes. Since the cervix can limit the number of sperm that enter the uterus, or sperm may otherwise have difficulty reaching the egg, IUI is performed to greatly reduce the distance sperm must travel to reach the egg. This is done by placing the sperm directly in the uterus, where they can then more easily travel to the fallopian tubes and hopefully meet the egg, significantly improving the chances for conception.
Who is a candidate for IUI?
The most common reasons why your physician may recommend intrauterine insemination are:
- Low sperm count
- Sperm motility issues
- Irregular ovulation
- Cervical scarring from surgery (cryosurgery, cone biopsy, loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP), etc.)
- Couples participating in fertility preservation
- Same-sex female couples using a sperm donor
- Unexplained infertility
What are the steps of IUI?
IUI is a relatively quick and painless procedure comprising of the following basic steps:
- A semen sample is collected and “washed” to remove seminal fluid and concentrate the sperm.
- Ovulation will be monitored, and once it has begun, the female will lie on an examination table.
- A speculum will be used to reveal the cervix, and a catheter will be inserted into the uterus.
- Finally, the semen sample is injected, and the procedure is complete.
Starting with your first consultation and with each step of treatment, your safety and comfort are our primary focus. IUI usually only takes a few minutes and is an extremely safe procedure. You can rest assured that our fertility specialists utilize the latest technologies and best practices to ensure not just optimal results, but also your peace of mind.
Related Treatments to IUI
In addition to IUI treatment, Chicago IVF offers a full spectrum of fertility care, including: